I haven’t had the chance to write about Namibia yet so I’m going to rewind a bit and talk about how much I loved it there. Then I’ll get to the sharks.
Before I started researching for my trip I had probably heard of Namibia twice in my life. Once in elementary school geography class and the second time sometime probably in middle school. Let me just tell you now that Namibia is awesome and totally underrated. It is definitely in my top 3 favorite countries.
Namibia is a massive place and very spread out - it’s one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world - but it has a ton to offer in regards to game parks, culture & scenery. My favorite aspect, though, was the scenery. The dunes of the Namib desert were unlike any landscape I’d ever seen. Specifically Dune 45 and those of Sossusvlei. The colors were so simple – black petrified trees, orange dunes, blue sky, white salt pan - yet in such beautiful contrast with one another that it made you feel like you were standing in a Windows desktop. Which, actually, we were…Dune 45 is the site of one of their stock photos.
Not only that, but there’s a smattering of adventure activities to choose from, which, for me, was an added bonus. That stuff always sucks me in. The sandboarding and quad-biking in particular were unreal as the size of the dunes made for double the fun. Not to mention the sand-sledding where I got clocked going 73kph (45mph) while hurtling down the side of a dune on a piece of slick plywood. Fastest chick speed of the day! You KNOW it!
In conclusion, Namibia is rad.
No comments:
Post a Comment