Sunday, September 19, 2010

PB&J and a Hard Boiled Egg...

...for dinner.  Both doggy bagged from the hotel breakfast.  That's true backpacking right there.  My inner mooch certainly helps.

I'm now officially traveling solo and 100% on my own.  And 100% winging it.  Day 1 of solo travel and I've already run into a plethora of issues.  Rwanda is not exactly set up for backpacking -- or travel outside of an organized tour in general -- so I've been having to do a lot of improvising and problem-solving. 

Problem #1: No access to cash.  Rwanda is notorious for piss poor ATM service/access.
Problem #2: No record of me being booked on my flight to Tanzania.
Problem #3: I'm a Mzungu.

Problems #1 and 2 are totally solve-able, albeit frustrating and aggravating.  Problem #3 is just something I'm gonna have to get used to.  Mzungu (muh-zoon-goo) means white person.  White people are rich.  Therefore, I am rich and have plenty of money to spare to be "makin' it rain" all over the streets of Eastern Africa.  Kids will literally walk up to you with their hand out asking for money, pencils, the shirt off your back.  It's sad, really, but what do you expect when all they know of the Western world are stories of economic prosperity and us setting a precedent of giving things away to developing countries.  I'd do it too if I were in their shoes.

I will say that the people of Eastern Africa have surprised me.  They are supremely smiley, welcoming, curious and helpful.  I've met some really cool locals and have had some very interesting conversations.  Everything from stories about life during the '94 Rwandan genocide to Beyonce's awesome booty shaking.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. This is the kind of thing i'm not sure how well I would deal with. Well the food, and the people bugging me. I like to think I am a very patient person, but it would get old really fast.

    Have you tried any local cuisine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food is fine. I could've gotten something from the restaurant if I wanted to. I'm just fully embracing the backpacker lifestyle so decided to save some cash and eat my scraps. All of the trip so far has been local food. On the tour we had a cook who would go to the grocery store every day and buy ingredients for dinner. Some examples have included warthog (yum) and goat (chewy).

    ReplyDelete