Saturday, September 11, 2010

Various Trip Shenanigans

Token American
I'm the "token American" on my tour and can't seem to remember that pants means underwear.  So any reference I make about my dirty or stained pants is immensely hilarious to everyone.

Unemployment tan
Most everyone else is a pale Brit so I am also the tannest of the bunch.  Christen calls it my "unemployment tan" seeing as though I had a lot of time sans job to hang out at the beach (accurate).

Niko njaa cama kiboko
It means "I am a hungry hippo". I blurted this whilst getting harassed by a group of souvenir hawkers and was rewarded with seriously confused looks followed by mutual laughter.

Statues of the world, prepare yourselves
I've already ridden a lion and an elephant statue.  Many more to come.

Goodbye/You're Welcome confusion.
The words are kind of similar in Swahili...in that they both start with a "k".  I accidentally mixed them up so have been telling people "you're welcome" when leaving their shops.  Like, "you're welcome that I graced you with my browsing presence."

Name game
We decided that certain people have the wrong names.  I.e. Fred doesn't look like a Fred, Jessee doesn't look like a Jessee, Martina doesn't look like a Martina, Darrell doesn't look like a Darrell, Doug doesn't look like Doug, etc, etc, etc.  Hence, we changed their names which is adding to the confusion over people's actual names in the first place.  Then me and Christen were given shitty names, so we changed our minds and decided the whole thing was a bad idea.

Scantily clad gorilla trek
Me, Christen and Darrell decided it would be ridiculously hilarious if we went gorilla trekking in just our bikinis & hiking boots.  Darrell would wear his neon green Borat mankini, obv.  The gorillas would go...ahem..."ape shit".

Sleepy peepy
We've taken quite a few photos of people caught sleeping throughout the trip.  Fred was literally passed out at a 90 degree angle on Rachel's shoulder, but unfortunately no one had a camera to capture the moment.  We are going to upload them to the Exodus website as our sarcastic review for the trip.

3 comments:

  1. Your stories remind me of:

    a) Jay doing The Rooster into a group of souvenir pushers selling flashing LED toys as we got off the bus in Rome.

    b) Mama trying to ask the Rome taxi driver if he was leaving by saying "Arrivederci? Arrivederci?"

    Also, you should probably learn to say "EL CHECKO, POR FAVOR" in Swahili.

    I will bring extra TP to deal with that stained pants problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! Cracking up and reading out loud to Justin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i forgot about both of those...

    i love the "arrivederci? arrivederci?" one. as if she was trying to say, "you go bye bye?"

    ReplyDelete